Sunday, January 31, 2016

JWFF Meeting Notice - Thursday Feb 4th

Date: Thursday Feb 4th 2016
Time: 6:00 PM
Place: Ridgewood United Methodist Church
100 Dayton St.
Ridgewood, NJ 07450


Speaker: Darren Rist of River Rapture Fly Fishing
Subject: Rivers of the Upper Delaware & how not to get Skunked

Some of my fondest childhood memories are of fishing with my father and brothers. I've always loved trout fishing, but it wasn't until my first year in college that I caught the fly fishing bug...BAD. Too many mornings I was torn between going to my morning engineering classes at NJIT or the "entomology classes" on one of the many trout rivers in Northern NJ. (The latter usually won out). I soon found myself gravitating to the fabled rivers of Pennsylvania, the Catskills and the Upper Delaware. I began guiding on the Beaverkill, Willowemoc and Upper Delaware in 2003. I now provide guided drift boat trips and lodging from my ‘fish camp’ on the West Branch of the Delaware in NY. 

My fascination with fly tying began in the early 90’s, after taking a local TU tying course. I enjoy experimenting with new materials and continue designing and refining fly patterns to try to humble those wild and wary Upper Delaware browns. Simple, fast and effective are what I strive for when designing flies.

I am a past president of the North Jersey TU Chapter and a member of the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild. I've been teaching fly tying and casting for over 10 years. I've spent the past 15 years chasing trout, salmon and steelhead in Alaska, Canada, Patagonia, throughout the American West, on the legendary rivers of the Catskills and Pennsylvania, and of course, on my home waters in NJ.

The following is guide Darren's response when asked, Why he became a Fly Fishing Guide? "Well, first I wanted to become a professional Trout bum, but my wife didn't approve. Guiding was the next best thing. Making a career out of something you love is the American Dream. I have a passion for fly fishing. I enjoy meeting interesting people. I like to teach. I don't mind untangling hundreds of leader knots a year. I guess it was just fate".

No comments:

Post a Comment